Top Killers of Social Media for Business
In honor of Day of the Dead, I thought I would highlight some of the top “killers” or mistakes that businesses make when using Social Media as a marketing tactic:
- Acting like a Zombie. Social Media is an exchange for building one-to-one relationships. Social Media Zombies simply “groan into space” by only posting self-promotions or disjointed comments. No wonder others run away screaming.
- Being Friends with Zombies. Automatic accepting of “friend” and “follow me” requests can get zombies (see above) in your network creating noise and distraction.
- Only Coming Out on a Full Moon. Jumping in and out of Social Media does nothing to build relationships or learn about clients, competitors and the market.
- Disembodied Parts. Often Social Media doesn’t “go” anywhere. It is not connected to the company brand visually or to the company website or blog physically (via links).
- Floating like a Ghost. Many businesses simply follow the crowd, nervously setting up Social Media accounts and randomly participating in exchanges. Or they hire a young intern to be in charge of Social Media and then worry months later if they are wasting time and money. Without a plan or tracked measures these efforts are likely ephemeral.
- Stalking Victims. Practices like auto-following, auto-posting and social media spamming are quick killers of reputation.
Your Next Best Three Steps (for business-to-business marketing/sales):
- Give rather than Get. Listen and comment on others posts, tweets or blog writings. As a rule of thumb spend 80% of your time supporting and listening and 20% promoting your own ideas and products.
- Be Selective with Your Friends/Followers. List the most important groups for your business (current clients, past clients, key referral sources, key industry influencers and media, desired prospects). This provides a clear guideline for building a quality, effective following.
- Define your objectives, goals or plans. Social Media is no different than any other marketing tactic. Successful marketers invest consistent, regular time against a clear plan with tracking metrics.
And for a little fun click here for Mashable’s Social Media Halloween Costume Winners
What have you witnessed (or experienced) as Social Media killers? Share in the Comments section below.
Want to breathe life into your Social Media efforts? Join us for this month’s Get Moving Now! Program.